Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bisexuality

So I'm starting this post at 1:00 A.M. and I'm thinking to myself...wow, I officially have no life! You may ask why I'm up so late considering I have to be at one of my wonderful jobs at ten thirty later today. The reason is, I had a mission tonight. After dredging around in cyberland, I suddenly had a craving for the stash of dehydrated asian noodles I had in the kitchen. When I went downstairs to fetch the Ramen treat, I realized Mandy had packed all the dishes in order for me to make this oriental delight. Then I thought to myself, with my friends moving in soon, we are probably going to need some sort of cookware. Thank capitalism for WalMart! Open 24-hours a day and has almost anything the heart could desire! From condoms to birth control, Vogue to the Bible, they have it all. So I set out to WalMart, barefoot, and bought myself some cooking utensils. I made it home and started making my excuse for a noodle soup. While I was sitting and waiting for my Eastern Gluten to boil, I thought, "This would be the perfect time to continue on my blog." So this entire paragraph really has nothing to do with the title of "Bisexuality." Again, to help those catching up in terms of culture, I'll define this word more thoroughly. Bisexuality: The sexual desire of a person for both sexes equally. Now most of us have probably heard people say negative comments about bisexuals such as, "They're just confused" or "They just need to pick a side." Unfortunately, those phrases are just as derogatory as saying homosexuality isn't natural. The fact is, bisexuality is not a very confusing concept. It just means some people like sausage tacos instead of one or the other. Admittedly, there are a lot of gay men and women who when they first come out of the closet, say to their loved ones that they are bisexual. Most people have a conception of bisexuality as a phase; therefore, it eases the blow because most people will assume the "phase" will end quickly. I even said  that I was bisexual when I first came out. Another antiquated idea is that there are only three categories of sexuality (i.e. Heterosexual, Homosexual, and Bisexual). In 1948, Alfred Kinsey created a scale of sexuality for people to gauge their own position in the sensual spectrum. The scale is as follows: 0) Exclusively heterosexual 1) Predominately heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual 2) Predominately heterosexual but more than incidentally homosexual 3) Equally heterosexual and homosexual; Bisexual 4) Predominately homosexual but more than incidentally heterosexual 5) Predominately homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual 6) Exclusively homosexual. This is a great way for people to see how varied sexuality is. As you can see, there are more than three categories. On this system of measurement I would say I am a 5. I also like the term Homoflexible: I'm gay but shit happens :-) Now I'm going to speak directly to those people who think that they are bisexual but are not entirely sure. Let me ask you this, when you're sitting with a group of people, are you having sexual thoughts about all of them or just one gender? If you are bisexual, the only person confusing you is yourself. There is nothing unnatural or strange about it. It is just as natural as being straight, gay or transgendered. Yes, I said it, transgendered! And now I'm going to talk to those people who are "bisexual." If you are just now coming out and to shield yourself and others from the "truth" you choose to say you're bisexual, stop. First of all, you're giving true bisexuals a bad name because when you eventually do say that you're gay, it adds to the idea that bisexuals are just confused gays. Second of all, most likely, you're not fooling anyone. I wasn't! So what have we learned today? 1) Bisexuals are not confused 2) Alfred Kinsey was a pretty cool guy that was way ahead of his time considering he released his findings in the forties 3) Don't worry if you're bisexual because we will all love you the same as our gay or straight friends and finally 4) Nathan is a five on the Kinsey scale so all the girls out there still holding a flame of desire in your heart for my body can finally get some shut eye knowing it may happen one day! haha
On a different note, I have set up an email account specifically for this blog. I encourage you to email me with your questions and ideas for future topics. I really like this idea! And seeing as my Dr. Pepper is running dry and my Ramen noodles have seemingly vanished, I believe it is time to end this excursion. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read my thoughts. I hope in some way I have helped you in a way I wish someone had for me years ago. I'll leave you with this quote about bisexuality: "Homosexuality was invented by a straight world dealing with its own bisexuality." -Kate Millett

I love you all very much. Let's go and help our society evolve toward sexual understanding.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad to see you made it home safely after I got off the phone with you. As far as your scale goes, I don't really think people should stick to labels. I think people should be happy with what they are, no matter what it is. Another term you should add in is Pansexuality, or omnisexuality. "It is a sexual orientation characterized by the potential for aesthetic attraction, romantic love, or sexual desire for people, regardless of their gender identity or biological sex. Some pansexuals suggest that they are gender-blind; that gender and sex are insignificant or irrelevant in determining whether they will be sexually attracted to others.For others, an individual's sex, gender expression, or gender identity can be a key factor of attraction, despite the pansexual individual's wide range of sex and gender attractions."

    ReplyDelete